Ten ideas for brand spanking new Broncos quarterback Joe Flacco and his 10 profession postseason wins:
1. I used to be guilty of overthinking the Broncos’ plans. I assumed Choice A may be protecting Case Keenum to begin the season however then giving the tenth general decide (or larger) a chance to play with an eye fixed toward 2020. Uh, not fairly. The Broncos went the Typical Route. They focused a veteran quarterback and traded for him. Neat and easy. Additionally they went the Previous-Faculty Route. In a creating era of cellular quarterbacks, the Broncos acquired themselves a gunslinger.
2. Flacco was four-3 all-time towards the Broncos (nine touchdowns, 5 interceptions). At Mile Excessive, he gained 38-35 in January 2013 (playoffs), misplaced 49-27 within the 2013 season opener and lost 19-thirteen in the 2015 season opener. The playoff win was memorable. Flacco threw a 70-yard landing cross with 31 seconds left in regulation to pressure additional time. The Ravens completed that season by beating San Francisco within the Super Bowl.
3. Flacco is 34 years previous. He has by no means been to the Pro Bowl. He misplaced his job to a rookie final yr. But for a fourth-spherical decide, he’s well worth the danger … and, really, it’s not a danger. What stands out about him is completion proportion (sixty four.9 and 64.1 his last two full years), his sturdiness (played all 16 games in 9 of his 10 years) and his playoff type (10 wins).
4. Flacco must be good for the Broncos behind the scenes. This can be a staff that may have a primary-time head coach (Vic Fangio), play-caller (Rich Scangarello) and quarterbacks coach (T.C. McCartney), second-yr gamers in receivers Courtland Sutton and DaeSean Hamilton and operating backs Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman and a to-be-decided offensive line. Flacco’s enter with the game plan from Tuesday-Saturday and his management potential off the sector might be important.
5. Flacco has never been probably the most cellular quarterback (345 rushes for 811 yards) but is aware of the best way to slide across the pocket to create time. But his type of play — drop back, stand tall, survey the sector — makes rebuilding the offensive line much more necessary than it was pre-commerce. Mike Munchak is the new offensive line coach and the Broncos ought to belief him to recommend at the least three linemen to draft in the opening five rounds.
6. Trading for Flacco opens up the Broncos to do something they need with the tenth decide. They might commerce down with Miami at No. 13 or Washington at No. 15 (each of whom might need a quarterback), choosing up additional picks and still getting the participant they want. They might keep put and draft a cornerback (Byron Murphy, Greedy Williams or Deandre Baker) or a prime obtainable offensive deal with (Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford or Greg Little).
7. Case Keenum is not in the Broncos’ plans. If a workforce on the lookout for a backup quarterback/mentor, they might supply a late Day three decide for Keenum on the condition he re-buildings his contract, adding a yr or two in change…